How open minded are you?

When I was a Jehovah's Witness, I used to call on peoples homes and ask them to open their mind to the possibility that maybe their current beliefs about our existential existence were incorrect. I never got very far but often amongst themselves JW's bemoan how closed minded people are.

I've since learned that this is actually very normal, psychologists have studied the phenomenon in detail. You can read all about it on the source of all true and accurate knowledge Wikipedia, here: Selective Exposure Theory.

Since changing my mind about god and creation I've experienced the effect myself quite profoundly as now I find it difficult to read material supporting creation/god whereas previously it was quite the opposite.

In order to swim against the in-built tide of my psychological condition, I have decided to re-read some of the material the JW organisation release in favour of the creationist view. I will post my reaction to the material here in a later blog.

If you are a 'believer', are you prepared to do the same? Ask yourself honestly if you really are open minded. When something comes on the TV/elsewhere about evolution do you listen attentively giving it due consideration, or do you switch off, literally or mentally, to what they are saying? Have you done any research yourself that wasn't just reading information published by your church?

If any believers are reading this and haven't already switched their brains/internet off, I challenge you to 5 hours of YouTubeTM  research about evolution by watching the pretty good series "DiscoveringReligion".
Unfortunately due to BBC auto filters some of the articles are not available in the UK, however the following reposting of the videos appears to work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQdkt_JkJQQ
There is actually more videos being posted to that channel so you can watch for substantially more than 5 hours if you wish, but the above compilation video is about 5 hours long and should get you started.

If you will not watch or study some other independent material, what does that say about the openness of your mind? How many hours a week/year do you spend convincing yourself that your current beliefs are correct? (If you are a JW then probably at least 5 hours a week). I'm asking you to spend just one weeks worth of your meetings to seriously considering an alternative opinion with an open mind. If it piques your curiosity then by all means go to something more authoritative than YouTube. I can heartily recommend for instance the New Scientist website, although you may need a subscription to read many of their articles.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Greenpeace response to Cowspiracy

The Boring Company Loop and Hyperloop systems introduction

Riversimple Rasa (H2 FCEV micro mobility) weight investigation revisited